Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Gool Peran Lowen! Happy St Piran's Day!

We are new to Cornwall, in fact, due to moving delays, we are not even down there yet. Hopefully we will be in Mevagissey soon though.

Anyway, to learn more about my new home, I have been signing up to lots of resources about Cornwall, and today I have seen an abundance of "Happy St Piran's Day" messages. But, I am ashamed to admit, I didn't know who St Piran was, so as the good librarian that I am, I have done some research.

It turns out that St Piran was born in Ireland in the 6th century, and later became a Cornish abbot, and later still, the patron saint of tin-miners and Cornwall. There are lots of parades and celebrations going on throughout Cornwall, with music, good food, plays, and poetry, and I wish we were there to take part, because it looks such fun.

The black and white St Piran's flag will be flying throughout Cornwall today, so if you are there, have a wonderful day, and enjoy the festivities! Happy St Piran's Day! Gool Peran Lowen!

No comments:

Post a Comment