Monday, August 24, 2026

Proper mishmash of old and new

I Coriander book cover showing drawings of ancient London
I can't believe that I have read five books since my last post. I work full-time and have a garden, and I am trying to learn new crafts, so I don't have much time to read, but I try to read every evening, even for a short while, and I could easily spend the whole day reading! So, to start off with, I found I, Coriander by Sally Gardner, in a charity shop, and it is so interesting. I t is set in London in 1643 and follows the story of a young girl who falls into hard times, being cared for by a wicked stepmother who her father had married to protect the reputation of the family by making sure they live a puritan life, which is difficult for the girl because her mother had a vivid imagination. It is hard to imagine that a country can go from colour to black and white, in terms of lifestyle, just because of a change of ruler. I would really struggle with it! The story has lots of creative twists, but also magic and wonder, and so many lovely - and some not so lovely - characters.

Down the Bright Stream book cover showing the gnomes going down the river in a boat

In a previous post, I talked about B.B.'s gnomes, Dodder, Baldmoney, Cloudberry, and Sneezewort. This is  the next installment, Down the Bright Stream, which sees the gnomes and their friends having to find a new place to live because humans have redirected their river for the purposes of industry. They are so sad to leave their new home, but off they go, in their clockwork boat, and undergo lots of adventures and challenges, including a serious betrayal. But the god, Pan, watches over them and keeps them save, and eventually they find a new location in Ireland, to continue living their happy lives with their friends, the owls and the otters, and the squirrel.

The Little Bookroom book cover with a drawing of two children reading books in a little roomThe Little Bookroom is another treasure that I have discovered. I have started reading it on several occasions, but I could never get into it, but recently I found it again and just couldn't put it down. It is a series of short stories written by Eleanor Farjeon, and published in 1955. She writes a beautiful foreword about her personal bookroom that she had when she was growing up. The stories are all wonderful so creative! I have read so many fairy tales and it amazes me how there are still more to read, new stories, completely different from all the others. The stories are all wonderful and are suitable for all ages, and they are accompanied by lovely illustrations. I will happily return to this one over and over and am really happy to share it with you.

French Braid book cover shows a blond-haired girl lying in the grass
The next two books are both written by old favourites. I had started French Braid by Anne Tyler before, but I discarded it because the character had been asked to look after a cat by someone who could no longer care for it and as soon as the owner had left, she packed up the cat and took it to a shelter. It made me very sad, so I gave up on it. I don't like that sort of behaviour. But then I was drawn back to it and I pushed through and apart from the cat scene, it was a good read. As per usual, there is a lot of focus on families with certain quirks and the trigger for the story is something that happened years and years ago. I do like her books. They are quite gently, descriptive and easy to read.

Wonder Boy of Whistle Stop book cover town sign
And finally, Fannie Flagg's latest book, The Wonder Boy of Whistle Stop, the sequel to Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe, which I read so many years ago, that I am not sure if I have blogged about it before - I couldn't find a post about it. But it is fantastic, and so I will blog about it a bit here too. The first book was published in 1992 and is about a small town which is part of a railroad and the cafe that supports it. The main character is Iggy, an unusual child who grows up into an extraordinary woman who can mesmerise bees, gambles and drinks with the best of them, but cares for the people she loves. There are some dark parts to the story, but it is all about the community. The story is told by an elderly lady living in an old persons home who tells her story to an unhappy middle-aged woman and together they support each other. It is such a wonderful story and I was worried that the sequel wouldn't match it. I mean, after more than 30 years, to write a story as good as the original - what are the odds! But, oh, it is equally as good and returns to the original Whistle Stop Cafe, remembering the original community members, including the youngest who is now elderly and in a care home himself. The book flits between the different generations, with the most amazing story running throughout and culminating in the most wonderful and perfect ending. Fannie Flagg's books are such feel-good books without being too twee and they are such a joy to read, and I have to say, this one kept me on tenterhooks throughout!



No comments:

Post a Comment